Did you know? Every one of these messages is hand-typed live, just for you.

Things you dislike but nobody else seems to care about

For gameplay advice and broader discussion of single-player Unreal including custom maps, mods and mutations that alter the game.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

User avatar integration
Skaarj Berserker Skaarj Berserker

Subject: Things you dislike but nobody else seems to care about

Post Posted: 13 Dec 2016, 08:54

Of course only Unreal related things.

One thing I dislike is the order in which you get the weapons in Unreal. You get the GesBioRifle and Razorjack after the ASMD, Eightball and Flakcannon, which makes them pretty obsolete. Okay, Razorjack can be used to kill Behemoth and GesBioRifle is good in combination with a Toxin Suit but they are nothing compared to ASMD, Eightball and Flakcannon. ASMD is good against enemies at every distance (but a little low on ammo), Eightball has a huge damage potential and a huge area of effect. Flak Cannon is the best weapon at close range and also decent in midrange.

And here comes the thing: I played every map and pack out there and I can't remember any mapper giving you the GesBioRifle and Razorjack before the ASMD, Eightball and Flakcannon. Sometimes it even goes so far that you'll barely find any ammo for GesBioRifle and Razorjack. For example in RTNP there're just 2 locations where you can pick up razor blades.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Subject: Re: Things you dislike but nobody else seems to care about

Post Posted: 13 Dec 2016, 10:49

Razorjack lets you kill things behind walls. It's absurdly broken and made the original Zephon a cakewalk. That's it though you need to master it first, and on MP (+lag) it's not easy at all.

BioRifle is a bugger killer and a zoning weapon. The UT version is a monster on secondary fire, can pretty much one-hit kill Krall.
ImageImage

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 13 Dec 2016, 23:33

Visible edges/seams in skyboxes.
Older renderers were fine, but the sharper renderers we use today reveal imperfections in some Unreal/UT skyboxes which piss me off :x
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

User avatar integration

Post Posted: 14 Dec 2016, 06:23

That's indeed something I perceive but ignore.

Here's the next thing: lighting. There are people who say lighting in Unreal is great. Simply no. The contrast is too big. In reality, walls reflect light spreading it into the whole room and a little around corners. In Unreal, there are too many black or too dark places unless mappers put lights everywhere. This makes me increasing the brightness/gamma setting. Not that long ago, I played the alpha version of Resurgence and I thought: Hey the lighting looks great. And in this moment I realized I hadn't tweaked the brightness setting yet. Afterwards it didn't look as good anymore but hey finally I could see. Also noteworthy: because there are too many dark places some mappers use zone light. With increased brightness it's sometimes like you can see the whole map and don't need flashlight and flares at all. PPS: I dislike playing dark games on mirroring screens and in too bright environments.

UBerserker wrote:Razorjack lets you kill things behind walls. It's absurdly broken and made the original Zephon a cakewalk. That's it though you need to master it first, and on MP (+lag) it's not easy at all.

BioRifle is a bugger killer and a zoning weapon. The UT version is a monster on secondary fire, can pretty much one-hit kill Krall.

ASMD, Eightball and Flak let you also kill enemies around corners/behind walls. For a usual playstyle (first play), the Razorjack is really not theat great. With Flak or ASMD I can kill every enemy (except Snipers) only suffering minor damage. Can't say the same about Razor and GesBio. Also, I was speaking about Unreal weapons not Unreal Tournament weapons. 90+% of maps and packs out there were made for Unreal.

User avatar Lightning Hunter
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 14 Dec 2016, 08:45

My biggest complaint about Unreal (and many fps games for that matter) is the overabundance of ammo. I understand the developers wanted to ensure that even the most inaccurate players had plenty of ammo, but I absolutely hate being maxed out with every weapon. I enjoy conserving my ammo and being forced to use every weapon in the inventory. With maxed out ammo, I sometimes stop caring about any possible challenge and rush through things wielding only the Flak Cannon, ASMD, or Eightball Gun. This is the primary reason I worked on the Limbo Difficulty mutator. I felt the monsters needed more health so ammo has to be conserved. This also partially solves the problem that integration mentioned above, since you are forced to use all weapons in order to conserve ammo - even though you get some less useful weapons later (although I do think the RazorJack is useful).
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
For the RTNP "Ultimate Edition" HD, click here.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 14 Dec 2016, 09:11

Those three weapons aren't on par with the Razorjack in terms of hitting things behind walls (you can't kill shit with the ASMD behind walls without combos, and I don't mean just hiding behind a pillar). With the RazorJack you have full control of this feature and the ammo for it are super plentiful - also the fact enemies can't dodge it at all. It's overall better than the Rifle.

I hate the Eightball actually. The only time it feels strong is when you hit 4+ grenades at once, while the rockets have zero feedback power (the only time they feel good is when you hit a large 2000+ mass target with 6 rockets, tl;dr you use the 8Ball for grenades only).

One thing I really dislike is how the enemies move SO FAST while being hit by high dps weapon like the Stinger/Minigun/PulseGun/Impaler. You're basically helping the enemy kill you.
ImageImage

Masterkent
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Post Posted: 14 Dec 2016, 17:03

Lightning Hunter wrote:I felt the monsters needed more health so ammo has to be conserved.

I generally prefer an alternative approach to making monsters overly healthy: it's much harder to hit a monster that properly dodges or moves away from your projectiles. In particular, FlakCannon becomes inefficient against smart monsters at mid distance.

User avatar Mister_Prophet
Red Nemesis Leader Red Nemesis Leader

Post Posted: 14 Dec 2016, 17:21

In general, Unreal's weapons are situational. The reason why weapons like the Flak Cannon tend to just out perform later acquired ones has less to do with their power but the state of Unreal's level design and progression of enemies. You're often in positions where circle-strafing or attacking in open rooms with space is the norm, and the Flak, Eightball, and ASMD are proficient over other choices. Though, the Flak tends to be useful in almost any situation.

Anyway, things I dislike that nobody seems to care about. The dodge mechanic. I don't think I ever used it until UT. It seems few level designers take the mechanic into account outside of UT also, even after all these years.

User avatar Lightning Hunter
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 14 Dec 2016, 19:33

Masterkent wrote:
Lightning Hunter wrote:I felt the monsters needed more health so ammo has to be conserved.

I generally prefer an alternative approach to making monsters overly healthy: it's much harder to hit a monster that properly dodges or moves away from your projectiles. In particular, FlakCannon becomes inefficient against smart monsters at mid distance.

Years ago I considered a mutator that simply decreased ammo received from pickups, but one of my other complaints about Unreal is that it's too easy these days. Therefor, I enjoy the extra health, damage, and speed increase by the Limbo mutator. It makes the game a perfect challenge for me. I understand that some people may not like the challenge boost though.
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
For the RTNP "Ultimate Edition" HD, click here.

User avatar integration

Post Posted: 15 Dec 2016, 08:20

A small thing: SkaarjAssassin vs. SkaarjLord
I know they look slightly different but I simply can't distinguish them. The thing is SkaarjLords are much more dangerous (except on Unreal difficulty where they just have more health and stronger melee), so it's important for me to know what I fight against (in custom maps or packs). But I can't. Even when their dead bodies are lying on the ground I often still don't know if it was a SkaarjAssassin or SkaarjLord. And that bugs me.

User avatar gubar
Skaarj Scout Skaarj Scout

Post Posted: 15 Dec 2016, 12:12

Another small thing: masked out dark sides of moons, like in SpireVillage or Glathriel. Half a moon should not just disappear or become transparent just because it is not lit by the sun. A lack of attention to detail.

Doublez-Down

Post Posted: 15 Dec 2016, 20:10

I used to hate being able to shoot the sky and have it deflect anything. I would always insert cloudzones to make the projectiles disappear instead. This is especially annoying when the sky is right above the player. Just lazy mapping.

But it doesn't bother me as much now for some reason.
I swear to god this forum isn't going to evaporate into ether within the next hour or so. - Bug Horse

User avatar evilgrins

Post Posted: 16 Dec 2016, 01:37

The snot-gun (bio-rifle).

Never liked that thing.

User avatar integration

Post Posted: 16 Dec 2016, 08:36

A bit more controversial thing: the lack of porting things from UT to Unreal

It's great that UT included all classes needed for Singleplayer (I don't mean the ladder or bot matches) but it lacks one thing: visible Singleplayer menues. So, all Singleplayer content is only available to people who have installed OldSkool and that's the minority. For example, about 4 years ago I checked Coop, and it was still vivid in Unreal 227 but dead in Unreal Tournament (Monster Hunt doesn't count, Coop servers aren't visible unless you have OldSkool installed), although the Unreal content wasn't as good as the UT content. So why are not more people trying to port things to Unreal 227? I remember playing Nali Chronicles in Unreal 227 ( []KAOS[]Casey made it available in Coop iirc, Nali Chronicles isn't the best Coop experience though), so that's definitely possible. For example, Project Zephon would profit much from getting ported to Unreal (because it's made for Coop).

A bit related: OldSkool can also be problematic to use for original Unreal content. For example, in The Ballad of Ash you start with an Automag that has increased damage and customized sound. In OldSkool it becomes an Automag with default properties (because OldSkool replaces weapons in order to display Decals).

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 16 Dec 2016, 13:21

I'm fairly sure everyone who has UT and wants to play SP content has oldskool. Mind you, not all UT people wants to play SP stuff outside of MH or any mp-related gametype. Playing experience in SP 227 is personally nowhere near as good as SP UT, and so far only Resurgence impressed me with 227's new graphic features.
ImageImage

Next