This is a test. Test! Consider yourself tested.

[UT][U1] Mr. Paci's RyS (Lightning Hunter's Cut)

For discussion and promotion of Unreal Engine single-player campaigns, mapping projects and total conversions.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

gopostal
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Subject: Re: [UT][U1] Mr. Paci's RyS (Lightning Hunter's Cut)

Post Posted: 06 Nov 2017, 15:20

I know we talked about reducing the overhead on your high res skins and that can be done and it will get down to around 120~150MB while still retaining really good textural quality. That's an option you might consider. If this were my project I wouldn't even consider not using your textures. I can't play Unreal now without them.

This level of redo absolutely deserves to be done as best as can possibly be done. I'd be happy to do a proper size reduction on your massive textures for use in this if you don't want to do the busy work. It's going to need some reduction because admins just won't trouble their players for a 650MB redirected file. Compressing a 100MB file gets it into the 65MB range and that's the upper limit of doable.

I put my TS3 server up for Christmas (71.11.65.100). You are always welcome to drop by and I'll help you any way I can. I'm around in the evenings, west coast US time. Text-only discussions are always welcome, sometimes my voice is really horrible anyway.

Please, whatever you do with this, keep an eye on having this online-ready. Coop play in these maps is some of the most fun in Unreal so I'm hugely looking forward to playing it.

User avatar Lightning Hunter
Skaarj Elder Skaarj Elder

Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017, 07:13

gopostal wrote:I know we talked about reducing the overhead on your high res skins and that can be done and it will get down to around 120~150MB while still retaining really good textural quality. That's an option you might consider. If this were my project I wouldn't even consider not using your textures. I can't play Unreal now without them.

Well, I think I will still release two separate packs. One will have the low-res textures, and the other will have the high-res textures. Perhaps we can entertain the idea of making the low-res version textures that are 1024x1024 instead of the 2048x2048 and 4096x4096 (and completely ditch the 256x256 textures, except maybe packages that will cause mismatches in other packs like TobioTrees). The optional HD pack will have the full size textures. If you have other ideas, I am all ears.

Keep in mind there will be one file that is around 100MB that is mostly new sound effects. This particular file cannot be reduced in filesize, unless I remove the new sounds (which I won't do). A big part of this project is all the fresh ambient sounds, effects and music!
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
For the RTNP "Ultimate Edition" HD, click here.

gopostal
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017, 16:14

Just curious, what's the target package size for the extreme edition of this project, all downloads included? If the sounds are 100MB then you are knocking on the door of nearly a GB I would think. I'd download it if it were 10GB, your work is that good, but anything near that size might be ignored by the general population of Unreal'ers.

I'm curious what other people think? Am I wrong in my assumption? Would you install a mod that runs ~900MB?

yrex
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017, 18:14

Lightning Hunter wrote:Keep in mind there will be one file that is around 100MB that is mostly new sound effects. This particular file cannot be reduced in filesize, unless I remove the new sounds (which I won't do).

Yes it can. You can change the sample rate, bit depth, channel count, or you can go even further and pack an MP3 into a WAV container (which surprisingly seems to work).
e-mail: ampoyrex at wp dot pl

Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017, 19:32

yrex wrote:
Lightning Hunter wrote:Keep in mind there will be one file that is around 100MB that is mostly new sound effects. This particular file cannot be reduced in filesize, unless I remove the new sounds (which I won't do).

Yes it can. You can change the sample rate, bit depth, channel count, or you can go even further and pack an MP3 into a WAV container (which surprisingly seems to work).

I did think of that, but there are two issues: I don't want the quality to be reduced at all (this might not be an issue with Mp3s), and also most of these sound files are looped effects, which I don't know will work with Mp3s.

gopostal
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017, 15:47

I don't want to get off track and I'll stick to the textures discussion but yrex is right. I'm very sure I can lop off half (but likely more) of your sound file size without you being able to tell which are compressed and which are not. As long as your source file is clean and clear you can downsample a long way and still retain quality. There's a bunch of audio tricks and things to use that will help.

Anyway this is your project and I'm *super* excited to see it. If you want it to be a GB then I'll download a GB. If you want to reduce that size I'd be over the moon to help you. Either way I'm looking forward to both this and Krullor's redo with a great deal of excitement and joy. Both you guys are true artists and the community is better because of it.

Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017, 18:59

Thanks for the offer of help, Gopostal! I made the decision to finish everything else I started (namely the gameplay overhaul, which is about 75% done), then you and I will figure out how to release this to make coop fans happy. I am taking several steps to make that process easier later on. In particular, I merged all the high-res textures across multiple packages to one texture file. This means that if you resample all the textures for me, all you have to do is look in in the file "redeem-skins_hd.utx", and everything will be in there. For now, I am not through adding content to the pack. :)

As for the sound effects, those are all contained in the second largest file in my pack. I'll let you look at those also, but I'll warn you ahead of time that I am a serious audiophile, so all these custom sounds must not lose any noticeable quality! If there is any distortion or broken effects, then I will stick with the 100MB file. I personally modified every single sound effect to have a good volume balance as well as high frequencies/low frequencies, pitch, tempo, and dozens of other effects. You are free to mess with it later however, and I will observe the results! 8)

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017, 19:35

Lightning Hunter wrote:...
then you and I will figure out how to release this to make coop fans happy.

Question...
Is this going to be coop only?
I played RYS a long time ago (never finished it because, well, my Czech isn't all that good, actually zilch or zero :wink: ) but I remember it being playable as SP (although I remember it as having much too little ammo for SP and with only the DP as a more or less permament backup weapon, it was slow progress with lots of retreating to avoid being overwhelmed).

Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017, 19:57

salsaSkaarj wrote:
Lightning Hunter wrote:...
then you and I will figure out how to release this to make coop fans happy.

Question...
I played RYS a long time ago (never finished it because, well, my Czech isn't all that good, actually zilch or zero :wink: ) but I remember it being playable as SP (although I remember it as having much too little ammo for SP and with only the DP as a more or less permament backup weapon, it was slow progress with lots of retreating to avoid being overwhelmed).

Absolutely not! SP is my primary focus right now. I personally don't even play coop. That is why we will work on coop support at the very end. RyS was not even supposed to be a coop pack to begin with as far as I know, but it kind of became known as one later since nobody could read the story anyway. This time around, I imagine coop players will not spend time reading the dozens of messages in every map, but SP plays certainly will! There is a lot of depth to the story, progression, gameplay, exploration, and more that SP players should enjoy Immensely.

User avatar salsaSkaarj
Gilded Claw Gilded Claw

Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017, 20:31

Lightning Hunter wrote:
salsaSkaarj wrote:Question...

Absolutely not! SP is my primary focus right now. I personally don't even play coop. That is why we will work on coop support at the very end. RyS was not even supposed to be a coop pack to begin with as far as I know, but it kind of became known as one later since nobody could read the story anyway. This time around, I imagine coop players will not spend time reading the dozens of messages in every map, but SP plays certainly will! There is a lot of depth to the story, progression, gameplay, exploration, and more that SP players should enjoy Immensely.

Great news \o/
It seems I got the wrong impression (not that I have anything against coop, I just never play online).

Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017, 20:36

It seems I got the wrong impression (not that I have anything against coop, I just never play online).

Most people have the wrong impression of RyS, which is part of the reason I am working on this! Far too many people out there have a mental block about playing this pack (I originally did too). You just now shed light on the fact that some people think it is coop-only when almost the opposite is true.

Edit: I changed the synopsis on the main page to clarify that SP is the main focus with coop merely being supported. :)

User avatar [UDHQ]Jackrabbit
Skaarj Warrior Skaarj Warrior

Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017, 02:33

Lightning Hunter wrote:RyS was not even supposed to be a coop pack to begin with as far as I know...

I can confirm that RyS was not intended by Paci as a coop map pack as there are serious issues with one of the maps playerstarts in an elevator shaft at the beginning of the map which blocked any respawning. This issued was fixed by Zora in her coop server server-side I believe.

Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017, 02:40

[UDHQ]Jackrabbit wrote:
Lightning Hunter wrote:RyS was not even supposed to be a coop pack to begin with as far as I know...

I can confirm that RyS was not intended by Paci as a coop map pack as there are serious issues with one of the maps playerstarts in an elevator shaft at the beginning of the map which blocked any respawning. This issued was fixed by Zora in her coop server server-side I believe.

This can definitely be fixed in this version. Although I am not focusing on coop, I will make sure it works better than before. I am also adding the occasional coop difficulty filter as I fix the gameplay, which means more monsters in coop.

watcher_of_the_skies
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017, 12:17

Fun fact. The word PACI means horse-horsey in hungarian. :'D

gopostal
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017, 14:52

Also, the band he featured in RYS put out a new record just a bit back, they are still rocking it. Not my cup of tea but interesting that they are still going.

Previous Next