Did you know? All of these messages will likely be replaced before release.

My Map by Map analysis of the original Unreal PC game

For gameplay advice and broader discussion of single-player Unreal including custom maps, mods and mutations that alter the game.

Moderators: Semfry, ividyon

wfank
Pupae Pupae

Subject: My Map by Map analysis of the original Unreal PC game

Post Posted: 17 May 2018, 10:53

I am a huge fan of the original Unreal game, played it between 2001-2013, for 12 years, my most favorite game ever. I no longer have the game as my old PC broke but still have fond memories of it, and i just wanted to do an analysis of each map based on how great it was (rating on a scale of 10) and the difficulty of all maps , all are in Level 3 Unreal difficulty but how difficult are each map compared to the others? The difficulty scale is: E: Easy, M: Medium, H: hard and U: Unreal. This is entirely imo and am sure other players had different experiences, short summaries of my own experience, but on with my analysis:

1. Vortex Rikers (excellent opening, great intro, beginning of a long journey, nothing much to do but dodge electric wires and read about the crash landing). Difficulty: E. Ratings: 7.

2. NyLeve's Falls (dramatic change in atmosphere, as you escape the congested space craft and see the beautiful waterfall and blue sky, and some fun fights with lesser brutes). Difficulty: E. Ratings 8.

3. Rrajigar Mine (a long, tedious and intensely difficult level. Yes the creatures aren't tough, but neither are the only 3 basic weapons you have, the first skaarj battle in the dark with just a simple automag is a horror show. Also the fatal unforgiving lava, this is the level that discouraged most of my friends, if you pass this you can do it all in the game, if you fail this Unreal isn't for you). Difficulty: H, Ratings: 6.

4. Depths of Rrajigar (Rajigar isn't over, but this is far less complex. Finally two tough opponents, a real Brute and a tough Skaarj Warrior appears, but the ASDM is just was too good for them and loyal to me, good music). Difficulty: M, Ratings: 7.5.

5. Sacred Passage: (Finally out of the unforgiving mine, back to the the open beauty, I loved this, fun battle with the skaarj warrior and lesser brutes, the beautiful water passage and the temple, nice level). Difficulty: E, Ratings: 8.5.

6. Chizara: (Tough and complex, a long ride, and introduction of the brutal Sliths, yet I like the environment of the temple, the secrets, riddles and mysteries and finally the destructive 8 Balls, aweosome place to explore). Difficulty: H, Ratings : 9.5.

7. The Ceremonial Chambers: ( Having the 8 balls make the Sliths and Skaarj a peace of cake here, if you passed Chizara, the tasks here are a lot easier). Difficulty: M, Ratings: 7.5.

8. Dark Arena: (This level was just epic, back under the open sky, the Colosseum interesting chambers and dungeons, stories of the prisoners, the ready to fight skaarjs and finally the first true difficult battle in the game with the Titan, the pillar is useful to dodge, it may not be for the impatient, but for the skillful they would love the challenge). Difficulty: H (Titan Fight alone), Ratings: 10.

9. Harobed Village: (A nice environment, cool to explore, not very challenging, but here you collect best weapon in the game imo, the Flak Cannon). Difficulty: E, Ratings: 8.

10. Terraniux Underground: (Hated this congested environment, disgusting green slime, stupid robotic music, at least the Mercenaries here are weaker than whats to come soon). Difficulty: M, Ratings: 4.

11. Terraniux: (extremely complex and difficult, the Mercenaries are badass difficult even with the Flak Cannon (also limited ammos here), the sliths are immune to the new GES bio rifle, and the tasks are complex and difficult. A very difficult level indeed and only skills and ability to trick mercenaries gets one through). Difficulty: U, Ratings: 6.5.

12. Noork's Elbow: (finally I cried to God, out of the filthy terriniux. the mercenaries here are way too weak and less healthy than what i just over came. Nice environment, and beautiful view of the next temple. Like to do a little swim before entering the next big level.) Difficulty: E, Ratings: 7.

13. Temple of Vandora (Another awesome temple, bigger but less complex than Chizara. The music on this map is just epic and beautiful. The skaarj fights are cool, and finally i fight my most fav skaarj sub type, the never backing, unforgiving, ultra aggressive Skaarj Berserker, which meets my Flak Cannon, plus brutes and weaker skaarj (the trooper kind emerges too)) and finally another badass Titan fight, but with less space to dodge. A brilliant map over all, by far my favorite.) Difficulty: H, Ratings : 10.

14. The Treanch (Might look tough, but what I do is just kill the gasbags shooting them down from the cave and do a sneaky dodging avoiding angry Titans to get to the ISV Kran. Alternatively you can easily shoot them down from the top before jumping down). Difficulty: M, Ratings: 6.5.

15. ISV-Kran Deck 4 (You might have suspected I don't like trapped environments and space ships, but the ISV Kran is just too cool not to love, the electric environment and technologies here are awesome, the ship is so cool to explore + swarms of skaarj tofight) Difficulty: M, Ratings: 8.

16. ISV Kran Deck 2 and 3 (This was amazing, the environment, the skaarj battles, the cool robot suits (though you never use them), the stories of the fallen, the pool of acid, great stuffs. Long map with difficult stuffs, my type of thing.) Difficulty: H, Ratings: 9.

17. ISV Kran Deck 1 (the last decks were cool, but this one feels congested and the frequent shakes signaling the ship getting unstable just make you wanna leave as quick as possible, the blobs and acids are nasty if you dont have the anti toxic suit). Difficulty: H, Ratings: 7.

18. Spire Village (cool night sky of Na Pali, the Titans seems significantly diluted in power and easy to slay with 8 balls/Flak cannon + you have invisibility). Difficulty: M, Ratings: 7.5.

19. The Sunspire (not much, kinda, complex temple in the game, just be careful of the lava wile taking the narrow path, fight the skaarj, gasbags, and the most annoying creature in the game Pupae. Weapon 10 Minigun is hardly better than the automag, the same ammo used, a disappointment). Difficulty: H, Ratings: 7.

20. Gateway to Na Pali (beautiful sky cave, be careful not to fall, its a beautiful level, lovely music, kralls are interesting creatures, Weapon 9 Rifle is great, league with Flak cannon and 8 Balls as the three best weapons in the game). Difficulty: E, Ratings: 8.

21. Na Pali Haven (sky town, the most beautiful and peaceful level in the game. the music is kinda romantic, I feel in love with the game. This place is just a beauty to explore and cool fights with kralls and skaarjs. The ending is a cool twist, where you have to swim the beautiful lake to the next level, I wish i could swim in space water for real, I can't describe my love for this map with words <3). Difficulty: M, Ratings: 10.

22. Outpost 3J (sky base, this is the nastier part of our beautiful experience in the outer space trilogy, swim to the surface before running out of scuba gear and continue the merciless war against the skaarj and kralls. a cool space jet you will see in action later. the teleportation is a cool spot). Difficulty: M, Ratings: 8.

23. Velora Pass (back to the surface of Na Pali and you are on imo the toughest encounter in the game with the gigantic Stone Titan. But plenty of places to dodge, and I mostly use a trick to push the bench again, continue to dodge until the bridge which sank into lava rises again, cross, hide behind, pull the leaver as soon as the stone titan steps in and he is roasted in lava). Difficulty: H, Ratings: 8.5.

24. Bluff Eversmoking (on first look it looks huge and difficult, but with the stock of weapons, and you getting used to the tricks and tasks and the Nalis guiding, its way easier than it looks. The ghost Nalis are pretty cool). Difficulty: M, Ratings: 8.

25. Dasa Mountain Pass (dispersion pistol wielding skaarj gunners are tougher than 8 balls wielding ones, the rockets are easier to dodge than the speedy blue beams, also the rockets can be shot down with ASDM, but the blue beams nothing to do but dodge. Its a congested and ugly level). Difficulty: M, Ratings: 5.5.

26. Cellars at Dasa Pass (by far the most difficult level in the game imo, very long, Stone Titan, Behemoths, swarms of skaarjs, brutes and kralls and all the complex tasks and exposing secrets you have to do, this is the peak of difficulty of Unreal, even the huge stock of weapon isn't much help, skills, patients and determination is what this monster map takes). Difficulty: U, Ratings: 7.5.

27. Serpent Canyon (nice boat ride, great music, just one flyand only two skaarjs to know out. Easy level, a deserving rest bite after its predecessor and before its successor.) Difficulty: E, Ratings: 7.5.

28. Nali Castle (my most favorite map, the heart of the game, the intro in the castle, some complex tricky tasks and tough skaarj, kralls and brutes to fight. The Giant Gasbag is a piece of cake with the flak cannon but a fun battle, the sufferings of the Nali are unbearable, watching them beheaded, tied up rosting in fire and all, and the one you chase only to see him shot down by the jet you saw earlier (funny thing, if you get killed by the jet, the message says you were killed by the Nali. Could this possibly have been an evil Nali, having lost faith on the messiah, trying to lead you to your death?) Anyway great level wit complex tasks and cool fighting actions, the dark environment in the map is just so awesome to love, this is everything Unreal is about). Difficulty: H, Ratings: 10+.

29. Demonlord's Lair (the Warlord's a tough beast, this is one tough battle, unless you use the amplifier, but theres no fun in that, so dodge his deadly rockets, avoid lava and do the brutal fight, till he teleport away...) Difficulty: H, Ratings: 5 (the battle cool, the environment? nothing but rock and flame)

30. Demon Crater (pupaes are the most annoying creatures here, the skaarj are tough but no prob with the high tech weapons and plenty of places to dodge, still congested.) Difficulty: M, Ratings: 6.5.

31. MotherShip Basement (beginning of the finale, welcome aboard the mothership, just a few skaarj, imo the easiest map in the game). Difficulty: E, Ratings: 7.5.

32. MotherShip Lab (Amazing level, love to see the skaarj experiments, the skaarjs, mercaneris and blobs inside the barrier, the blue skaarj one looks ready for a fight already... epic encounter with the cool golden skaarj berserker, the map length is great and fitting and the music reflects the intensity). Difficulty: M, Ratings: 10.

33. MotherShip Core (This is similar to the previous, but a lot more twisted and complex and the skaarj here are more aggressive. One last fight with my beloved Brute, r.i.p). Difficulty: M, Ratings: 8.5.

34. Skaarj Generator (with the swarm of skaarj lords and assassins it might sound tough, but they arent a challenge as you dodge, fire and teleport. The real challenge is the WarLord, again I don't use amplifiers, and this time its a fight till death, so a tough and brutal battle). Difficulty: U, Ratings: 8.

35. Illumination ( run as far as you can from the generator you just destroyed, cool seeing the ruins wiped out by blue lightning aurora.). Difficulty: E, Ratings: 7.

36. The Darkening (the mothership lab and mothership core are combined here, only the lighting is out. The search light is so useful, never runs out like the flash light did. Ihe green and blue laser Sakaarjs are tough, then there are pupaes and even the mercenaries, but you don't have to explore all and can easily avoid them, but I chose to explore everything. Finally the blue, Ice Skaarj textured Skaarj Berserker, the toughest in the game, who hated me the moment he saw me is lose and waiting, guarding the final gate. Even after 6 shots from the flak cannon, this guy keeps going. Its a tough level overall (if you explore everything and engage in every fights), and this ultra tough Skaarj gives it a fitting ending). Difficulty: H, Ratings: 9.

37. The Source Antechamber (nothing much, kill a skaarj lord, get to the transporter and get redy for the final battle). Difficulty: E, Ratings: 6.5.

38. The Source (the final destination, the music is ffitting to get you redy and fired up for the final battle. Grab all the cool stuffs laying there and enter the Source. Then emerges the Queen, along with the swarm of pupaes. She is tough. She can teleport inside you, bursting you out. What I do is jump to the center pillar with the jumping boot, thankfully the Queen doesnt teleport there, so just keep shooting and dodging, till she is dead and Unreal is over. A great journey coming to an end as you board the space craft that would take you home). Difficulty: H (out of respect for the Queen), Ratings: 8.

39. Ending Sequence (Think about your amazing accomplishment as you hear the awesome final music congratulating you and rejoice as you see Na Pali where you encountered so much action from outer space, you might not return home for fuel shortage and are trapped aimlessly in space, but you got out of where no other humans managed to). Difficulty: N/A, Ratings: 9.

I am not including the Return to Na Pali expansion with it, it was good, but a let down compared to the original. This is my analysis of the original Unreal game, the best game I ever played! In summary:

Easiest Map: 31.
Hardest Map: 26.
Worst Map: 10.
Best map: 28.

The three toughest maps IMO are 11, 26 and 34, rated all of them U, and imo 26 is the toughest map of them all.

The End....
Last edited by wfank on 13 Jun 2018, 18:23, edited 5 times in total.

wfank
Pupae Pupae

Subject: Re: My Map by Map analysis of the original Unreal PC game

Post Posted: 17 May 2018, 11:00

I really miss playing the game, one of my most fav games ever, probably my most fav game ever...

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 17 May 2018, 12:23

Isn't it on Steam? Also pretty sure Epic is going to put it on GOG this May 22nd.
ImageImage

wfank
Pupae Pupae

Post Posted: 17 May 2018, 15:17

UBerserker wrote:Isn't it on Steam? Also pretty sure Epic is going to put it on GOG this May 22nd.

well, I think I had a good time with the game, also I have to spend most of my time on my work and family now, so have little times for playing any kind of games now, so for now happy memories would do. I just felt nostalgic about the game for some reason, and searched about it on the web and came across this amazing site and shared my experience. Thanx for your reply...

User avatar Sat42
Skaarj Warlord Skaarj Warlord

Post Posted: 18 May 2018, 19:01

UBerserker wrote:Isn't it on Steam? Also pretty sure Epic is going to put it on GOG this May 22nd.

Hey UB, it's been on GOG (along with UT99 and UT2004) for years...
Nali: Magic or Telekinesis
Waffnuffly wrote:It's tarydium-doped smoothies. Drunk by the player, I mean. The player is tripping balls. The whole game actually takes place in a large city and the player thinks he's on an alien world.

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 18 May 2018, 19:12

Sat42 wrote:

Oh well I guess Epic won't do anything then lol (except maybe a sale).
ImageImage

User avatar ElectricIce

Post Posted: 19 May 2018, 15:01

UBerserker wrote:
Sat42 wrote:

Oh well I guess Epic won't do anything then lol (except maybe a sale).

inb4 some unreal related stuff in Fortnite

User avatar Diego96
Skaarj Lord Skaarj Lord

Post Posted: 19 May 2018, 21:31

Mercs are easy because you can crouch to dodge the bullets
M'nali

UB_
Nali Priest Nali Priest

Post Posted: 19 May 2018, 22:45

ElectricIce wrote:
inb4 some unreal related stuff in Fortnite

It would be cool seeing something like the Shock Rifle in Fortnite but Epic from what I remember never made crossovers between their IPs. It would also remind everyone there was an UT4 which has been silently put on hold or killed.
ImageImage

User avatar ElectricIce

Post Posted: 20 May 2018, 05:02

*sigh* yeah ;/ I wish they would finish that one eventually.

wfank
Pupae Pupae

Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018, 18:27

Diego96 wrote:Mercs are easy because you can crouch to dodge the bullets

Not really, go replay Terriniux. Mercenaries in general are easy, but in the original game in that level they have extra health and resistance (as designed by the game specifically for that level). In 10 and 12 Merc are super easy, but Merc in level 11 are totally different. Even the Elite Merc in level 12 is nothing compared to the Merc on level 11, you sound like either you played that a long time ago or on easy setting or didn't play it at all. On other Unreal games Merc are easy, but level 11 of the original game is a totally different thing. Go play the original game, level 11 with default stuffs in Unreal Difficulty mode, you will see....

wfank
Pupae Pupae

Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018, 20:43

My most favorite creatures from the game was by far the Skaarj Berserkers, the golden one at mothership Lab was just awesome!